Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Painting in the Novel

In Chapter One, I mention the powerful impact of a painting Gabriela exclusively created for one of my characters.  The inspiration came from two sources.  The first was from one of my favorite Renaissance St. George paintings, the Paolo Uccello.  Then I started thinking, what if I modernize it, make the horse like the Peter Paul Rubens one (he drew just magnificent horses in action), but have Gabriela create it in India ink, all blacks, grays, and whites to give it the menacing and the sublime look.
I am attaching the paintings so that you can see from where my convoluted mind invented the painting that left one of my characters speechless and pleasantly shocked.

St. George and the Dragon by Paolo Uccello circa 1456

St. George and the Dragon by Peter Paul Rubens circa  1606-08

No comments:

Post a Comment