Monday, March 17, 2014

Origin of my Hero's Name - Richard Harrison

Some writers are into names.  I'm not particularly into collecting all types of names or into researching meanings behind names to attach to my characters.
I picked the name Richard Harrison for my wonderful, incredible manly man in The Coin, because, well, I liked both name and surname.  Had always liked those and they sounded so good together.  So,  I thought today I would find out what each meant.

Richard, according to the Behind the Name website, means as follows:
Means "brave power", derived from the Germanic elements ric "power, rule" and hard "brave, hardy". The Normansintroduced this name to Britain, and it has been very common there since that time. It was borne by three kings of England including Richard I the Lionheart, leader of the Third Crusade in the 12th century. Famous bearers include two German opera composers, Richard Wagner (1813-1883) and Richard Strauss (1864-1949), as well as British explorer Sir Richard Burton (1821-1890) and American musician Little Richard (1920-).

Harrison, according to House of Names.com, means:
Son of Henry, derived after the Norman conquest.

I was a bit surprised about Richard's meaning, since in my novel, he is brave, powerful, rules, and is hardy.  Not bad for someone who got his name just because.

No comments:

Post a Comment